The first reference to the agricultural
estate of Čertousy dates back to the year 1322. At that time it was owned by
Seiboth of Benešov, a wealthy burgess from Prague. In 1357 Archbishop of
Prague, Arnošt of Pardubice, purchased the Estate from Seiboth´s son Henslin
for Charles University.
In 1366 the Estate was presented to Charles Collage, newly founded by
Emperor Charles IV. This is also stated in its Foundation Charter.
In the 15th
century during the Hussite wars the Masters of Charles University lost
the ownership rights to Čertousy Estate, however, they purchased it again in
1471 from Jaroš of Trčousi (Čertousy) and this was, with the permission of King
George, entered into the Land Register.
After the Battle of the White Mountain in 1620 the Estate was shortly in
the possession of Jan Savojský, Vicar General of the Brothers of Mercy. In 1639
during the Thirty Years´War the Estate was burnt out by the Swedes and later
within the process of re – Catholicization it was, for a brief period, owned by
In the 18th century the Estate was rebuilt by the
Masters of Charles College under the supervision of builder Kaňka.
During the reign of Maria Theresa the Estate was, due to its size, given
land-registry number 1. Later the estate belonged under the administration of
Michelské Endowment Estates. In 1787 the serfdom was abolished here and the
Estate was divided into 8 equal parts
which underwent further process of dividing and joining.
In the 19th century some of these
parts became the property of several rich citizens of Prague and only in 1879
František Viktor Veselý started to buy the individual of the former Estate. And
so by the Decree of the Land Register Committee of the Kingdom of Bohemia
issued on 28th April 1900 its former state of 1357 was confirmed and this was
entered into the Land Register.
In 1906 the land-registered Estate is bought by Jaroslav Stára of
Radonice. He, and later his son Jaroslav, run the place until 1948. In this
period new buildings were built and the former ones reconstructed. After the nationalisation by the communist regime
in 1948 the place was administrated by Státní statky until 1993. At the time the former 7
buildings of the Estate were demolished, all the wells were covered up and the total demolition of
the rest of the Estate and building of new pigsties were considered. These
plans were not completed due to the new direction of the social development